Delicious strawberries, rich-red, sweet, tart sweetness but among the most popular bays. These berries are from Europe, but now cultivated in many temperate regions around the world as an important source of income. Botany, the plant is a low-growing runner (wine) belong to the rose family, in the Genus: Fragaria.
The cutter is a small, low altitude, shrub distribution. It bears small white flowers that will eventually develop into small conical, light green, unripe fruits. You red to maturity with each bay with tiny red pulp yellow seeds piercing through the surface of the interior. Its upper end is wearing a hat with green leaves and stem adorn his crown.
Each array includes conical shape weighs about 25 g and about 3 cm in diameter. The berries have a flavor that depends depending on the variety, ranging from very mild acid.
Although the wild varieties are sometimes available, large-scale production with the modern system on the market “plasticulture”. In this method, the raised beds are formed each year, fumigated and with plastic, the growth of weeds and crops prey prevents rain.
Strawberries health benefits
- Strawberry is low in calories (32 kcal / 100 g) and fats but rich source of promoting health phytonutrients, minerals and vitamins, which are important for optimal health.
- Strawberries have significantly higher levels of phyto-phenolic flavonoids called anthocyanins and ellagic acid chemical. Scientific studies show that the consumption of these berries may have potential health benefits against cancer, aging, inflammation and neurological disorders.
- Cutter has an ORAC value (oxygen radical absorption capacity, a measure of the antioxidant power) of about 3.577 umol TE per 100 grams.
- Fresh berries are an excellent source of vitamin C (100 mg or 58.8 g provide about 98% of RDI), which is also a powerful natural antioxidant. Consumption of fruits rich in vitamin C helps body develop resistance against infectious agents against inflammation and clean up harmful free radicals.
- The fruit is rich in complex B vitamins. It contains very high amounts of vitamin B-6, niacin, riboflavin, pantothenic acid and folic acid. These vitamins act as co-factors to help the body metabolize carbohydrates to proteins and fats.
- Strawberries contain vitamin A, vitamin E and health promotion-poly phenolic flavonoid antioxidants such as lutein, zea xanthine and beta-carotene in small quantities. These compounds help, as a scavenger of free radicals protect against oxygen derivatives and reactive oxygen species (ROS) that play in various processes of aging and disease a role to act.
- In addition, good amount of minerals such as potassium, manganese, fluorine, copper, iron and iodine containing them. Potassium is an important component of cell and body fluids that helps control heart rate and blood pressure. Manganese is used by the body as a cofactor for the antioxidant enzyme superoxide dismutase. In the production of red blood cells is needed copper. Iron is necessary for the formation of red blood cells. Fluoride is a component of bone and teeth and is important for the prevention of dental caries.
The selection and storage
Strawberries are the all year round in the shops, but fresh and plentiful from spring to mid summer.
In stores, select berries, plump, shiny, free of sand and moisture have a deep red with attached green caps. Avoid those dull, hollow or flattened and those with signs of mold, cuts or discolored spots on the surface appears. Green berries have green or yellow spots on its surface. Since the ripening berries stop shortly after harvest should be avoided green berries, as they and likely to be sure of inferior quality. They perish sooner and should a few days before you buy.
Before starting the refrigerator, damaged and ask all those affected by mold, so they should not destroy healthy. Place them in a large bowl or on a plate with a paper towel covered spread. They keep fresh in the refrigerator for a day or two. Use it as soon as possible. For longer storage, place them in the freezer compartment.
Preparation and consulting services
To wash strawberries, they can easily enjoy in cold water in a large bowl for a few seconds and swish a few times. This helps remove sand and insecticide / fungicide residues. Then gently pat dry with a paper or cloth towel. This method makes it possible to bring the array to normal room temperature and improves its flavor and taste. Remove stems and caps of snipers with your fingers or with a paring knife.
Here are some tips that serve:
- Sliced strawberries can be a great addition to fruit or salad.
- You can download a great snack between meals. Dried strawberry slices can muffins, pastries, cakes be added and used in cereals as a small meal.
- The berries are a popular addition to dairy products; flavored as with strawberry ice cream, milk shakes, smoothies and yoghurt.
Strawberries can cause severe allergic reactions in some sensitized individuals. Some of the common symptoms of allergy to strawberries include swelling and redness of the mouth, lips and tongue, eczema, hives, rash, headache, runny nose, itchy eyes, shortness of breath, gastrointestinal disorders, depression, hyperactivity and insomnia. People who suspect allergic to these fruits, want to avoid.